ch-scene - Re: Jandek in Chapel Hill

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Jandek in Chapel Hill
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 12:34:29 -0500

I don't think Doug's doing a very good job of explaining the plan. My understanding, based on the one local name that was slipped to me, is that by "top-shelf" he means "with the longest history of playing in the widest range of fucked-up bands around." And/or "local musicians most likely to (a) be able to hang with Jandek, and (b) actually *want* to play with him."

For *some* people (I'm guessing you're one of them), that's a very different list than what you're probably visualizing.

For others of us, the two lists are the same.

Ross

goylemjax AT yahoo.com wrote:
goylem... AT yahoo.com wrote:
"Area's best?" =A0Isn't that sort of an ass-backwards approach? =A0If
you've listened to many of Jandek's albums, you know he's not exactly
backed by Julliad grads.
Well, on most of his albums, it's just him.
The musicians appearing with Jandek are top-shelf; I don't think that
they are Juilliard-trained, but I don't have their CVs here in front of=
me.
It's a Jandek show; it's not for everyone.

I will assume then that this is at Jandek's request. Top-shelf
musicians and Jandek seems a little oxymoronic. I suppose as long as
the backing band members aren't making 'isn't this funny, ha ha' faces
and generally making asses of themselves on stage ('b/c it's Jandek'),
it'll be cool.