ch-scene - Re: Jandek in Chapel Hill

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Calloway <ifoufo AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Jandek in Chapel Hill
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:58:57 -0800 (PST)

--- On Thu, 2/12/09, Todd Morman <tmorman AT nc.rr.com> wrote:
> The eternal question. It seems a ridiculous price but
> perhaps I should find
> a web site that could adjust it to 1991 dollars. Give me a
> clearer
> perspective.

Well, here's one perspective.

Go look at Gerrard Hall.

The place isn't even as big as Das Kaffeehaus.

Suppose you could cram 100 people in there.

That's $2000. To schlep ass up here from Houston and perform. After expenses.

I don't know if CUAB gets Gerrard Hall for free. But ain't nobody making any
money significant money off this gig unless CUAB is heavily subsidizing it.

Jandek is a Rorschach test. Your reaction to Jandek is more interesting than
Jandek, according the representative from Corwood Industries himself.

Is it worth $20 to self-administer and self-grade your own Rorschach test?
Well, that's kind of its own Rorschach test, isn't it?

You could spend $20 and find out.

Or, it might be more interesting to you to not spend $20. And see how you
feel about that.

I think I like this "guy."

3

(Me, I won't be in town that night. I'm off the hook.)