ch-scene - Re: Copied from the DPR mailing list: Music on the CCB Plaza

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: carlos <rocofresi AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Copied from the DPR mailing list: Music on the CCB Plaza
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 06:35:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 10, 12:08=A0pm, trob... AT nc.rr.com wrote:
> I guess it would depend on the area... most venues are in locations that =
offer alternatives for killing time. =A0I rarely "suck it up" and hang at a=
venue if I find the openers less-than-appealing. It depends on if people I=
know are there and want to try to have a conversation over the noise. =A0I=
n most cases I'll listen to all the bands online before I go to a show so I=
know who I'd like to hear or not hear... then decide on the best time to s=
how up to the club.

> ---- Kevin Slater <saulec... AT gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I dunno... I've shown up to more than one show where the opening band =
=A0
> > (IMO) blew donkeys and I basically sat at the bar drinking beers =A0
> > waiting for them to go away. =A0My thinking is that if anything it =A0
> > would INCREASE bar sales. =A0Isn't there some famous saying about "just=
=A0
> > get them in the door"?
>
> > k.
>
> > On Sep 9, 2008, at 8:47 PM, local... AT gmail.com wrote:
>
> > > Although I think some interesting ideas have come up, I'm more in
> > > agreement with Ross - people are choosing to NOT see opening bands,
> > > not showing up late AND hoping to catch the entire first act. =A0So a=
> > > much as I think a financial reward could entice more folks to PAY
> > > early, I could also see those very people paying early AND going
> > > elsewhere to wait for the second or third act to play. =A0Basically, =
> > > don't think a financial reward is going to get people to come out and
> > > see something they are not interested in seeing - heck, if that were
> > > the case, all of our free shows would be sell-outs...glenn
> > > -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors alt.music.chapel-hill --
> > >http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/ch-scene
>
> > -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors alt.music.chapel-hill --
> >http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/ch-scene
>
> -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors alt.music.chapel-hill --http://lists.i=
biblio.org/mailman/listinfo/ch-scene

I dont understand why its so important that everything runs so
regimented. I understand people have things to do, i've got a
millions things to do. but when i go to shows, i dont expect fast
food drive-thru type service. I want a laid back experience. It
doesnt have to be just about running in, watching the music and
running out. that would be too much like a job, and I would miss so
much if that was all i did. And with most bands its not imperative you
see every minute they play, not like you're going to miss a plot point
or something. And if you have to wait for the band to start (a
moderate delay so everyone who plans to play gets to play) then even
better. I say let the bands take their time, let the crowd gather and
get restless, meanwhile, talk to the bartender, talk to a stranger,
have a drink, buy someone a drink, talk about music with someone, make
a new friend. it's supposed to be a fun and social experience. And
the music is just one part of the whole. People seem confused about
this and that may be why most think staying at home and watching live
music on their holographic projector running over their true to life
sound system (or whatever technology is the latest nowadays) is the
same as seeing music at a venue. Just my 2 cents. The venue and its
patrons deserve attention too.