ch-scene - Re: Copied from the DPR mailing list: Music on the CCB Plaza

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Copied from the DPR mailing list: Music on the CCB Plaza
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:04:38 -0700 (PDT)

> I dont understand why its so important that everything runs so
> regimented. =A0I understand people have things to do, i've got a
> millions things to do. =A0but when i go to shows, i dont expect fast
> food drive-thru type service. =A0

Right, this is the attitude of any band on any given night. Basically,
the people who have decided to come that night are coming, so let's
wait for them, even it means starting the show late and penalizing the
timely folks by making them wait even longer than planned. And *I*
will argue that there are likely a LOT more people interested in
seeing live music, and possibly that show in particular, who choose
NOT to come because they DON'T think it will start on time (and likely
they have been the one penalized in the past and don't want to risk
that again.) Basically, each band sees it as just their show starting
late when, in fact, it happens at almost every show, so the patrons
see it as how a particular venue operates OR how live music in general
works.

Seriously, ask people who missed your show, or any show, why they
didn't come and you'll find time-concerns trump other more vocalized
excuses (the smoke, the other show down the street, fuck the 506,
etc.) I'd say half the time when people go out of their way to tell
me they ARE coming to a show, they still don't turn up as usually the
timing issue only comes into play that night when you start thinking
about it (ie: do I really feel like investing over two hours to see 30
minutes of that one band I like.)

Believe me, I take great interest in why people do NOT come out to a
show. Bands can get up and dust themselves off after a bad night, but
I still have to pay my rent....glenn