ch-scene - Re: Local music... who decides?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Kelly <radiofury AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Local music... who decides?
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 06:22:41 -0800 (PST)

this thread was mostly boring until now... if you
(chapelhillguitarist) really had this question, then just go back into
the AMCH archives and you'll get a good understanding of the inner-
workings of the mythical Chapel Hill scene. I understand getting
frustrated about what you are doing but... ehh whatever. Other better
people than me have pointed out the errors and illogic in your
postings.

local... AT gmail.com wrote:
> You know, I could probably write an entire book replying to all the
> stuff that has mentioned in this thread but, alas, time gets in the
> way.

I think you and Ross (and a handful of others... throw in Mac for
outsider name cred) could put together a handful of essays -- get some
cocky local grad student to edit it and put it out tied to the "Chapel
Hill Scene" ... I could see that one selling better than the lame
"Label Launch" books filling the shelves of B&Nders all of the
country!!

With that said, I did want to check the level of interest in
> doing a local music networking/discussion night on such topics
> (booking, press, radio, etc.) - I personally think there is a lot of
> information that could be shared and in a better format that amch.
> This is an idea I've been bouncing around for a while. Thoughts?

that would be really cool... I try to do this sort of thing in my job-
job all the time but it's really hard to pull off... people are crazy
busy and it's difficult to get people together and put their stuff out
on the table to deal with. It's interesting that Ross and Glenn are
the targets in this thread (you can probably add Grayson and probably
Mac as the top four unfairly maligned locals) as these are the rare
folks who consistently are most transparent with their processes in
the area. Do they frustrate me? Sure... but I'm a total ass and
realize that we all get frustrated sometimes...

Anyway.

BCHQ has hosted several evenings focused on specific topics to help
local bands and they seem to have gotten good attendance. I think
this is useful and am all for it, but the bigger more ambiguous
problems are deeper and less easy to overcome. Ego, making money (aka
breaking even or not going into serious debt), "art," personal
relationships in a relatively small area... all these things are
really difficult to analyze and plan around.

So, if you want any help putting on nights like you are talking about,
then I'll down... I've been doing that kind of thing since I was in
high school and love organizing stuff... what do people want to know
about??

But being pragmatic and honest about what's going down around here...
the mythological "back in the day" crap (we don't take that malarky
from the right-wingers, why should we do it to ourselves), the faux-
scene, "Chapel Hill," the importance of clubs, radio, cds, labels, any
of us individuals.....in the end it's just a bunch of people trying to
have fun and feel good about themselves while doing the best they can
given their situation... that's probably going to help more over the
long haul.

and forreal. I think a regularly occurring cage/grudge/no-holds-
barred event for all involved in the "local scene" would do wonders
for us... glenn getting to pound my head into a stage monitor ...
jason sullivan dropping a box of fried motherboards on dj steveo... or
a burly time boys v/s all of auxiliary house ninja/sumo battle would
do wonders for stress relief and really start to bring us together as
a "Community that Cares!"