ch-scene - Re: Local music... who decides?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Local music... who decides?
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 23:58:35 -0800 (PST)

You know, I could probably write an entire book replying to all the
stuff that has mentioned in this thread but, alas, time gets in the
way. With that said, I did want to check the level of interest in
doing a local music networking/discussion night on such topics
(booking, press, radio, etc.) - I personally think there is a lot of
information that could be shared and in a better format that amch.
This is an idea I've been bouncing around for a while. Thoughts?

The one thing I definitely want to address is the so-called
'favoritism' that I'm possibly being accused of. I make no secret
that my favorite local band is Transportation - their last show at
Local 506 was almost one year ago: February 23, 2007. Des-Ark would
be a top five favorite (possibly even number two) - last 506 show
almost three years ago: February 26, 2005! Work Clothes, Top 10 -
Last Show: 9/16/06. I have a much better chance of seeing these bands
somewhere else than at Local 506 (unfortunately!)

Now, I'm sure you're thinking, "yeah, but what about your favorite
individuals, regardless of interest in their bands." Well, I think all
you need to do is ask any of my employees (who also double as
friends) about the process. Yeah, I might throw a bone here and there
but I am normally trying to make the best bills possible (sonically,
if not alliteration'ery.)

I will say the one thing that works in any bands favor for me is their
ability to communicate efficiently. For many shows, I make a list of
potential openers - and usually contact them in the order I think they
will respond. I tend to shy away from (and eventually avoid) bands
that have been proven slow corresponders or one that takes days to
check all the band member schedules before giving me an answer.

Again, I'm sure you're thinking "isn't that the pot calling the kettle
black." I do respond to every email that comes to our booking
address, although not quite as quickly as many would like. One of the
reasons your band in particular may not have gotten a response is
because I hesitated on replying to many of the local band requests
over the last couple months until I had a better idea of how our 'free
for all' shows were working out. Otherwise, your band would have
gotten the same email Red Collar and many others have gotten (a list
of other venues that might work better.)

glenn/506