ch-scene - RE: Local music... who decides?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Brian English <Brian.English AT sas.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: Local music... who decides?
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 09:17:41 -0500

I rarely reply on this list, but this thread was interesting to me. I play
primarily in Raleigh, which may or may not make a big difference vs the
Chapel Hill scene. My current band has gone from playing for tips in coffee
shops to regularly drawing 350-400 people to clubs like the Pour House. Now
we're kind of a 'favorite' for a couple of clubs if they need to book someone
that can draw some people at the last minute in our genre or just want a
dependable act to fill an opening. We rarely call to solicite for a date any
more, usually they call us.
It took about 4 years to get to that point. We all have day jobs, we don't
attempt to play full time and don't tour out of town except for the
occassional weekend in Charlotte or something. We're entirely self-promoted,
no management or anything. We're really not that great of a band, but we can
draw a crowd that will drink a bar dry and that's all that counts for booking
a club gig.

Some things we've learned about how to 'make it' around here, like it or not.

1)Play anywhere you can, play for free, play often, get heard. This builds a
fan base. Clubs don't care about your music, they care about how many people
will come to your gig and spend money while they're there. Keep that in mind
when dealing with the club folks.

2)Private parties!! We have had more gigs come from someone hearing us at
their cousin's friend's wedding reception or BBQ than from any other source.
It's an awsome way to make contacts and get heard by basically a captive
audience, and the pay is better than any club gig. Nothing like playing for 2
hours at a rehearsal dinner and taking home $400 apiece. :)

3)The typical RTP area audience doesn't give one shit about your original
music. They want to hear stuff that they already know, they are brainwashed
by Clear Channel. If you want to be popular around here, you have to be easy
to party to,and that means playing covers. It often sucks, but that's just
the way it is around here. Your reputation in this area is going to be based
on how much 'fun' you are, not how sweet your guitar licks are or how
thoughtful your lyrics are. Usually you are not playing for people that care
about music, you are playing for people that care about a fun social event
where they can party. If you can facilitate that, you will be popular, and
the clubs will love you.

4)Promotion. All those stupid social networking sites are amazing. Myspace,
Facebook, ReverbNation. The best marketing tools around. Another valuable
tool is an email list. Have your website set up so people can join the
mailing list. Have sign-up sheets at your shows. We probably have 750+ people
on our email list. We send out an email about once a month with show
information. Enough to be informative, not so much as to spam people and
annoy them. Finally , as already mentioned, put up flyers EVERYWHERE. Bug all
your friends to come, and to invite their friends. In college towns the kids
will go to a show if they think their friends will be there, it's all about
the social scene more than the music scene.

5)When you get sick of playing covers for drunks and need a good musical
outlet, invite over fellow musicians and play in the comfort of your home,
and spend some of your well earned gig money on beer for everyone. It'll be
more musically rewarding and re-charge your musical spirit for when you have
to 'sell out' to the crowd again. :)