ch-scene - Re: Local music... who decides?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: loxpick AT aol.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Local music... who decides?
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 14:30:58 -0500

One thing a lot of bands tend to forget is that club owners have this nasty
little addiction called 'overheads'. No matter how great your band may be, if
they can't fill the joint, for whatever reason, the club owner may well lose
money, maybe lots of it.

Think the bank, landlord, phone co., beer vendors, Duke Power, and a
bajillion other expenses will cut the owner any slack because the attendance
has been down and he can't afford to pay right now? If so, please contact me,
my family has a bridge in Brooklyn we'd like to sell, cheap too!

For a new, unproven draw of a band to expect they can waltz right into a club
like 506 is not only excessively egotistical, its fucking insane!

I've been in bands since 1965 and can certainly empathize with how hard it
can be to get gigs...hell, we're strugglin' in Killer Filler...but the
reality is that there are way, way more good bands in Chapel Hill than there
are clubs to keep them all booked and that, coupled with the economic
realities faced by club owners make gigs a bit on the scarce side.
Particularly if you are not a PROVEN draw.

But think of how much worse it would be if the clubs that are there went out
of business because they booked bands based solely upon skill or friendship
as opposed to draw.

pete gamble