ch-scene - Re: Local music... who decides?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Joe Huffuff <the.real.rain AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Local music... who decides?
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:02:25 -0500

chapelhillguitarist AT hotmail.com wrote:
>>> With most of our local shows, I book the
>>> headliner and the headliner picks the bands they want to play with.
>> Yup, that was the only way my crappy band ever played at 506 (way back
>> before the Age of Glenn).
>
> This sounds like the best advice one can use to 'break in' to this
> 'scene'. We have tried these avenues too but...
> maybe it's our intrapersonal skills? Maybe it's the way I smell or
> something?

Interesting.

Yeah, I've done pretty much everything, from doing everything to doing
nothing. From highly slick productions to DIY. From real irony to
hyper-irony. With big bands and solo. I'm not whining, and there are
lots of different things I could have done. I've been nice and I've been
an asshole. I sent CDs to everyone with little or no response except "I
get 1000 CDs a day, why should I listen to yours.." One reviewer began a
published review by stating that putting the fact that I liked Steely
Dan on my bio was some sort of harbinger of doom to their sensitive ears.

So I have to say that the only reason that I can think of is that I'm
fat,ugly, and I like singing the flat 5th over the tonic.

CHG I wish you well. There's nothing more dangerous than a DIY pope hat
and an elistist hairshirt on the same person, year after year.

It's not your 'intrapersonal' skill. You can try too hard. Or not
enough. Sound too good, or not good enough. I heard one reviewer at a
bar praise a bunch of high school kids banging on glasses and calling it
the next revolution.

So my advice is to buy a bar, or be someone who was in a band that was
famous here before you were born.

gilbertneal.blogspot.com