ch-scene - Re: Local music... who decides?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Kevin Darbro <kdarbro AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Local music... who decides?
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 21:59:21 -0500

I've got to admit I laughed out loud at Ross's proposal for a career for
chapelhillguitarist.

I've never been the guy to try and get bookings for the bands I was in back
in the day, and I think we only played the 506 once as part of a
double-bill.

Oddly, our first ever gig as "Trophy Wife" was at the Cat's Cradle! It was a
Thanksgiving benefit for the homeless hosted by Gravity's Pull I believe. We
were friends with Sue and Nick in GP, so they asked us. This is after we had
"proven ourselves" I guess as the musicians for "Jesus Christ Superstar" at
Forest Theater for the Somnambulist Project's production that summer. Sue
played Judas, and Nick ran sound.

They liked the way we sounded and as we became friends, they asked us to
open for them and (ugh!) Tangeena Barren.

>From there we did mostly Cave gigs and Lizard and Snake, and loved it
regardless of the size of the crowd.

Now that I'm working with a sketch comedy group in Raleigh, I've heard that
the same kind of thing happens in comedy clubs. People call the owners or
email them, and say, "my friends think I'm funny. Can I do a set on your
stage?"

It seems that it takes some personal social interaction and for people to
know you and the quality of what you do for them to book you. Oh, and of
course, that's secondary to bringing in the bottom line.

If I ever got the hankering to play out live again with the guys, I'd be
more than happy to play at smaller venues again.

But then again, I'm getting old and I need my sleepy time.

- Kevin Darbro