ch-scene - Re: skylight/nightlight

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: skylight/nightlight
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 23:19:28 -0500

l.sward wrote:

So apparently this situation is hush-hush, but Alexis is suppose to or
has already met with the landlord and has or is going to sign a lease
with the landlord.

Yeah, that part was in the Independent's blog. 1 or 3 years, it wasn't clear.

I certainly hope that I was not misinformed because
things are becoming bleak in Chapel Hill. Developers and Land Owners
are foaming at the mouth. They wantto create mix use buildings all up
and down Franklin and Rosemary.

There's nothing inherently wrong with that. Mixed-use development, done properly, is far better than bulldozing the farms & forests around Chapel Hill & Carrboro in order to put in a bunch of car-required suburban subdivisions. And in a lot of cases, it's far better than the existing stuff that's there, especially the existing stuff that's surface parking lots.

New development is generally hard on dive-bars and rockclubs, though, you're right about that. Generally the rockclubs just get pushed to the next ring of undesirable real estate, but if all of downtown gets redeveloped mixed-use, then there's certainly a risk that you'll wind up with a nice walkable downtown with nothing to do but shop in high-end boutiques and eat in high-priced restaurants. Yawn. Kinda like East Franklin, only instead of boutiques & restaurants, it has UNC souvenir shops & empty storefronts.

Plus Chapel Hill/Carrboro have fewer rings of less-desirable real estate to choose from. Not many moribund strip-malls or shuttered auto body shops. Speaking of which, does anybody know whether Cleve is going to reopen F&F, or did he decide the fire was a good time to retire?

Everything
that I held near and dear to my heart is being taken away so some
fucker can turn a profit.

Sounds like everything you hold near & dear to your heart doesn't turn a profit? Maybe you need to talk to this guy, he has an assload of money & just bought the Kerr Drug building downtown: http://www.chapelhillnews.com/front/story/11507.html

Maybe he won't care if his tenants turn a profit.

I don't know how everything will turn out
with the Nightlight, but the 506 and the Cradle might fall victim in
the near future.

You gotta pay a little more attention. The Cradle is part of a rather complicated plan to redevelop that whole block of Main St. First they clean up the remnants of the tank farm and bulldoze Archer Graphics to put up a mixed office/retail building. There's a giant sign about it in front of Archer Graphics. Then, near as I can tell from other people, it appears that the Cradle moves temporarily into the Performance Bikes building, and they bulldoze some/all of that strip-center and build the next couple of phases, which include new dedicated buildings for both the Cradle and the ArtsCenter, along with an assload more mixed-use retail/office & apartments. Eventually the Performance building is replaced by a hotel.

You'll also no doubt be sad to hear that the junkyard behind the Cradle is going to be replaced by a parking garage.

Here's a pretty old plan: http://www.carrboro.com/300eastmain/

And a more recent article: http://www.carrborocitizen.com/main/2007/06/28/first-major-downtown-project-wins-approval/

I guess the saddest thing about the Nightlight is
that it is the last place in Chapel Hill to see anything remotely
interesting. Only time will tell.

Well, it does seem to have another year or three of life in it, which is about 4 years longer than most of us probably thought it would last.

Have you considered moving to Durham?