ch-scene - Re: Part of the problem (was Re: skylight/nightlight)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "andy fekete" <andy.fekete AT gmail.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Part of the problem (was Re: skylight/nightlight)
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 17:57:20 -0500

"I guess I romanticize Chapel Hill back when the music scene was the
reason people moved here. I don't feel that is the case anymore and
with the development going on in Chapel Hill and big money being
involved it doesn't make me feel comfortable about the future of cheap
venues to see new and exciting music."

Over the past year I've noticed an alarming increase in the number of
musicians and artists who are actively looking to move out of Chapel
Hill/Carrboro because of the high cost of housing. In the
conversations I've had, it seems like Durham's 9th Street area will be
the biggest beneficiary of this trend.

While this bodes well for Durham, it's tough to see Chapel Hill's
alternative way of life disappear, as it was the main reason I moved
here so man years ago.

Ah well. Progress.

-A