ch-scene - RE: skylight/nightlight

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Heather Russell" <heatherrussell AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "'RTP-area local music and culture'" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: skylight/nightlight
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 19:16:51 -0500

This makes me very sad.

-----Original Message-----
From: ch-scene-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:ch-scene-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of grady
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 4:27 PM
To: RTP-area local music and culture
Subject: skylight/nightlight

Speaking of Nightlight, did y'all see the brief bit in the Indy's Scan
blog, to the effect that Skylight Exchange is going away (lost its
lease, or elected not to renew, or something . . . the blog says
"evicted" but I haven't seen or heard any confirmation of anything), but
that rather than this signaling the demise of Nightlight, Alexis has
instead managed to secure a new lease for Just-Nightlight in the same
space . . . ?

This is all very confusing and if someone knows more details, it would
be awesome to hear them. Hard to imagine Nightlight-alone able to be
more successful than Skylight-plus-Nightlight.

More generally, hard to imagine that space without the Skylight Exchange
in it. I've had some good times at shows at Nightlight, but I've had far
*more* good African Tuna sandwiches at Skylight, not to mention the
random weird selection of books & records on my shelves that came from
there. Dennis Gavin has done more for culture in Chapel Hill than most
folks ever give him credit for.

My understanding from people involved with Downtown Chapel Hill Stuff is
that eventually, all of W. Rosemary from Church to Graham is destined to
be higher-density, mixed-use and more walkable . . . I was told that the
powerlines are going underground, and that pretty much any structure
under 3 stories will be gone in another decade. The Shortbread Lofts
will be leading the way sooner rather than later, and I've been waiting
for the Skylight/Nightlight building to follow suit, so this is hardly a
surprise, but it's unpleasant nonetheless.

Ross