ch-scene - Re: skylight/nightlight

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "l.sward" <armed2tt AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: skylight/nightlight
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 12:24:04 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 11, 4:26 pm, gr... AT ibiblio.org (grady) wrote:
> Speaking of Nightlight, did y'all see the brief bit in the Indy's Scan
> blog, to the effect that Skylight Exchange is going away (lost its
> lease, or elected not to renew, or something . . . the blog says
> "evicted" but I haven't seen or heard any confirmation of anything), but
> that rather than this signaling the demise of Nightlight, Alexis has
> instead managed to secure a new lease for Just-Nightlight in the same
> space . . . ?
>
> This is all very confusing and if someone knows more details, it would
> be awesome to hear them. Hard to imagine Nightlight-alone able to be
> more successful than Skylight-plus-Nightlight.
>
> More generally, hard to imagine that space without the Skylight Exchange
> in it. I've had some good times at shows at Nightlight, but I've had far
> *more* good African Tuna sandwiches at Skylight, not to mention the
> random weird selection of books & records on my shelves that came from
> there. Dennis Gavin has done more for culture in Chapel Hill than most
> folks ever give him credit for.
>
> My understanding from people involved with Downtown Chapel Hill Stuff is
> that eventually, all of W. Rosemary from Church to Graham is destined to
> be higher-density, mixed-use and more walkable . . . I was told that the
> powerlines are going underground, and that pretty much any structure
> under 3 stories will be gone in another decade. The Shortbread Lofts
> will be leading the way sooner rather than later, and I've been waiting
> for the Skylight/Nightlight building to follow suit, so this is hardly a
> surprise, but it's unpleasant nonetheless.
>
> Ross
> -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors alt.music.chapel-hill
> --http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/ch-scene

So apparently this situation is hush-hush, but Alexis is suppose to or
has already met with the landlord and has or is going to sign a lease
with the landlord. I certainly hope that I was not misinformed because
things are becoming bleak in Chapel Hill. Developers and Land Owners
are foaming at the mouth. They wantto create mix use buildings all up
and down Franklin and Rosemary. I just heard bad news about Go!
Rehearsal Studios/Track and Field as well. It makes me sad. Everything
that I held near and dear to my heart is being taken away so some
fucker can turn a profit. I don't know how everything will turn out
with the Nightlight, but the 506 and the Cradle might fall victim in
the near future. I guess the saddest thing about the Nightlight is
that it is the last place in Chapel Hill to see anything remotely
interesting. Only time will tell.