ch-scene - Re: Local 506 vs. Smoking

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: James Hepler <jameshepler AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Local 506 vs. Smoking
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 06:20:57 -0700 (PDT)

One of the things that works for the Cradle's non
smoking policy is the ease of finding a place to smoke
and still being able to have your beer by your side.

I think that making the house non smoking and the bar
smoking is a great attempt to make things better for
everyone. If you adopt that policy for a month or
two, then all we really need is to have Grady report
back and let us know how prohibitive the smoke
gauntlet is. The poor guy has put up with smoke
filled halls enough to IMO be able to gauge whether or
not it actually improves anything. If he says that it
doesn't improve things, then try a stricter no smoking
policy for a month or two to see how that affects your
smoking patrons.

The downside to a stricter no smoking policy is that
people would be using the same door to go out and
smoke that others would use for entering and leaving
the building which would create a constant snafu and
endless headaches for the door person. Furthermore,
on a rainy night, people would clog up the nine square
feet of space that is covered in front of the builing
as well as that same space in front of your neighbors.
You'd have nearly as smoky a gauntlet as you would in
the bar area.

Tough situation. But I don't see how you can go wrong
with trying different things and settling on what
works best.