ch-scene - Re: On Durham and identity

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Jeff Hart <jeffhoo1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: On Durham and identity
  • Date: 17 Apr 2007 06:59:02 -0700

On Apr 17, 7:25 am, Ken <bluem... AT nc.rr.com> wrote:

> My impression is that John would still be trying to figger out them
> newfangled compooters. Do you recall what he played records on his
> store? Must have tracked at 200 grams. Gordon Lewis called it the
> 'sacrificial turntable.'
>
> As for OBC, that leaves Tom Pafford (bass) who I think is still in the
> area, and James Funsten (lead g) who was last heard from in
> California.
> Ken

i have a small piece of video footage of john swain's shop that tony
madejczyk shot 19 years ago after a hanks brewery show. he walked out
of the club and kept the camera on. he went straight across the street
to the record hole (was right next to college beverage then) and
filmed into the window of his store. he focused on that turntable for
awhile till the police came and asked him what he was doing. i think
someone told me that footage was used in a a short tribute film at his
memorial. the other footage was of john at a record show, probably
hillsborough at the big barn.