ch-scene - Re: On Durham and identity

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Ken" <bluemold AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: On Durham and identity
  • Date: 16 Apr 2007 06:34:53 -0700

On Apr 6, 4:18 pm, billbur... AT mindspring.com (billburton) wrote:
> Ken was music director at xyc from may 1983 until may 1985.
>
> His wonderful show ran from 1978 until 1986.
>
> bb

Sitting at home, nursing a cold, screwing around on the computer...
and a little ego-surfing takes me here!

Bill's timelines are correct for my involvement at WXYC. Some of the
best years of my life. I'd like to think the efforts of people like
Bill and myself, and our analogs at WXDU, were important to laying the
groundwork for the excellent left-end-of-the-dial we all appreciate
now. It astounds me that now, more than 20 years after Anarchy in the
PM ended, I still get recognized for doing that show. I got my back
slapped heartily at the dB's reunion show and at Broad St Cafe
recently, but more amazingly, by a vacuum cleaner salesman at a Home
Design show at the State Fairgrounds. I love watching my wife's eyes
roll back whenever this happens.

Jeff, there were just the two Tobacco A-Go-Go's. My only other
release was "Endlessly Rocks the Cradle" by Carrboro's Other Bright
Colors. That was fun of a different flavor. Guitarist/songwriter
Brian Butler later formed the Mind Sirens and still lives in the
area. Drummer Joe Jaworski was the grandson of Watergate special
prosecuter, Leon Jaworski. Joe is an attorney himself now, was the
mayor pro tem of Galveston Texas for a while, and is now running for
the state legislature. I was considering doing a third Tobacco A-Go-
Go, a 50's NC comp, provisionally titled "Tobaccabilly," and debut
releases from Four Who Dared (X-Teens spinoff), Three Hits, Mockers
(Norfolk) and Pecoso Landers (Greensboro). However, life takes odd
turns. John Swain died, and his NC rockabilly records vanished,
ending the Tobaccabilly idea. Mostly, though, I wasn't ready to take
my label to the next level, so when Beth and I learned our first child
was on the way, I used that as an excuse to close the label. Certainly
fun while it lasted.

Last thought...as I trip down memory lane, one of the things I miss
are my old, over-the-top promos for Anarchy in the PM. I've got about
3 or 4 of them (the ones Keith Weston posted ages ago), but I must
have made about a dozen, and I'd hate to think they're lost. If any
of you have one or more of these on tape, please let me know. Fred
Mills maybe??

Ken

PS: Mike Woodard is a former music scene maker and buddy of Robbie
Schultz. He is now a Durham town councilman.