ch-scene - Re: On Durham and identity

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: On Durham and identity
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 10:49:07 -0400

Yeah, no shit. On the one hand, one big reason we're looking to move is to cut our commute down to 15 minutes from the current 40, plus, as Shayne said, walkability to interesting stuff is pretty key.

We feel like we're kind of priced out of suitable spaces in Chapel Hill, plus the food in Durham is better, and, as I've said, so many of my friends live in Durham. (now if only Durham had a Sandwhich or a Driade, I'd never even look back . . . )

But I'll freely admit that we're a couple of DINKs who work IT jobs & can thus afford housing in a price range above that which yr average indie-rocker can. I look at the American Tobacco Phase XXX plans, and the soon-to-be-revealed Greenfire Plan For Downtown (ain't it creepy that, since they bought up all of downtown, they now get to "reveal" the future of Downtown Durham sometime this spring?), and yeah, I wonder how long affordability can hold out.

Although if you compare the projected growth rates of Raleigh/Wake County (from 700,000 to 1.4 million over the next 25 years) and Durham County (something on the order of 250,000->350,000), and the amount of land/housing stock in Durham, I'd still argue that Durham is in a better position to retain a greater percentage of these positive factors than the other corners of the Triangle are.

But yeah, we'll see. Pls accept my apologies in advance for my own contribution to the gentrification of downtown. Oh yeah, and nobody better put in a fucking noisy late-night rockclub on my block, or I'll be callin' the cops every night. Fuckin' punks!

xo

Ross

Chris Rossi wrote:
While the entire Triangle enjoys this aspect, Durham happens to have the cheapest housing costs of the cities that can easily take advantage of the Triangle economic and cultural climate, so it's a natural place for a budding arts scene. Don't worry, though, a thriving arts scene is just the first step in the gentrification that will eventually price the arts scene back out of existence. Enjoy it while you can, and be glad the process seems to be progressing at a fairly slow pace for the moment. Once Grady moves in, we'll have another 5 years at best. ;)

chris