ch-scene - Re: On Durham and identity

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Jeff Hart" <jeffhoo1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: On Durham and identity
  • Date: 6 Apr 2007 12:57:39 -0700

On Apr 6, 3:15 pm, jim.brant... AT gmail.com wrote:
> I don't know who Ken Friedman or Mike Woodard are, but I absolutely
> agree that college radio *is* the magic spice in the Triangle.

ken was music director at wxyc from about '76 to the late 80's (was he
there that long?). his show was called "anarchy in the p.m." if memory
serves.

chris calloway can probably comment more on ken's contribution to
college radio. i could barely pick up wxyc until about the time he
left. i finally moved to a hill in wake county where i could get the
signal. but someone dubbed me some of his shows from his time there
on some long lost cassette.

here's ken and jamie mclendon in a recent pic.

http://www.ipass.net/jhart/kenjamie.jpg

ken's also known for pulling together the nc garage rock compilation
called "tobacco a go go". there may have been 3 volumes. i know of two
for sure.

http://www.lds66.com/ypas/image/fave/37tobacco.jpg

http://www.furious.com/perfect/nc-punk.html