ch-scene - Re: On Durham and identity

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ken <bluemold AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: On Durham and identity
  • Date: 17 Apr 2007 04:25:19 -0700

On Apr 16, 5:21 pm, "Jeff Hart" <jeffh... AT gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 16, 9:34 am, "Ken" <bluem... AT nc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> >Guitarist/songwriter
> > Brian Butler later formed the Mind Sirens and still lives in the
> > area. Drummer Joe Jaworski was the grandson of Watergate special
> > prosecuter, Leon Jaworski. Joe is an attorney himself now, was the
> > mayor pro tem of Galveston Texas for a while, and is now running for
> > the state legislature.
>
> thanks for the lowdown ken. so there was to be a 3rd compilation, but
> john swain's death intervened. i sometimes wondered how he'd have been
> on the web, posting here maybe.
>
> speaking of mind sirens and texas connections, a pal of mine wrote me
> friday to say he bought a guitar in texas from a guy who turned out to
> be former mind sirens member jeff spillers.

My impression is that John would still be trying to figger out them
newfangled compooters. Do you recall what he played records on his
store? Must have tracked at 200 grams. Gordon Lewis called it the
'sacrificial turntable.'

As for OBC, that leaves Tom Pafford (bass) who I think is still in the
area, and James Funsten (lead g) who was last heard from in
California.
Ken