ch-scene - Re: On Durham and identity

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "runder AT gmail.com" <runder AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: On Durham and identity
  • Date: 5 Apr 2007 07:11:16 -0700

>From an outsider's perspective -- I live in Alamance Co., it seems
mainly housing costs. I don't know a single person that lives in
Chapel Hill anymore (despite living there for 6 years), and just a few
in Carrboro. Most have moved to Pittsboro & Durham. They don't want
just cheap housing, they want housing with character, with all those
walkability points you read about (including to proximity to bars and
music venues). That can't be had in many places outside of Durham. I
use this list to find out what's going on in the Triangle, to
determine if its enough of a draw for me to travel the 45 minutes down
the interstate. If I got to Durham, I can also bundle my trip with
restaurants & bookstores & now Chaz's & visits to friends' places. The
restaurants I want to go to in Chapel Hill don't enable as casual of a
drop in visit (especially now that Burrito Bunker closed). It may
seem petty, but transportation issues are also a big deal. I can get
to the venues in Durham easier, avoid traffic, and have a better
chance at available parking. I don't have to worry if its a game day
(I just know I might have to put up with some Duke students on a game
day, but that's more of a personal issue).

My big hesitancy to over credit the women's issue in Durham comes at
worrying that you would count out the contributions of women in the
rest of the area, though it might be in different forms than just
running a rock club. It seems like a lot of triangle writing about
music in the 90s seemed to be done by women, local label staffing, and
then there's OCSC that supports local musicians in an alternative way
as well.

However the biggest reason I broke out of lurkerdom to join this
conversation is to say that if that rumor about the Catalano property
is true I'm going to cry. Here's a capture from October on Google
Maps http://flickr.com/photos/ihavegotthestyle/272989292/. Google
Maps still shows the same satellite shot today
http://www.google.com/maps?q=1467+Ridge+Rd,+Raleigh,+North+Carolina+27607,+USA&ie=UTF8&z=18&ll=35.808304,-78.687285&spn=0.001962,0.003648&t=k&om=1.
I guess if I had to guess what a developer would have put there,
that's what I would have guessed, but I wish they could have been more
creative. Durham! Let that be a lesson to you! Don't be like
Raleigh!

Elizabeth