ch-scene - Re: Radio Stations across the country

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Radio Stations across the country
  • Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 15:15:02 -0400

The WFMU online playlister is a paragon in this area, and they recently posted on their blog about its mightyness:

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2006/07/i_found_it_on_w.html

Those of us who have contemplated the construction of an online playlister (OK, well, me, at least) have tended to get bogged down in making lists of kewl features to include, and have never gotten around to actually making anything, which is why I'm so glad WXDU managed to find a playlister that actually performs the core functions we require, even if it doesn't have super-mackin' public search functions [yet], because at least it actually exists, as opposed to all the vaporware we might've [not] come up with otherwise.

You *can* at least come close to the "who was on at X time" functionality with our online playlister; it's not actually timestamped because many of us only have 2 hands and thus often fall behind in our playlister-updating, thus rendering any timestamps kinda inaccurate anyway, so we don't bother. But if you make certain assumptions about the lengths of songs, you can get pretty close, at least.

Ross

a rooster for the masses wrote:
I wish stations had a better system for logging and searching there logs. So
you could find out when an artist is played. (Very useful for a band.) Or
who the band is that plays at a certain time. (Very helpful when you hear a
song and want to know who it is.)
adam

rick sawyer <rickbang AT gmail.com> wrote:
i'm not sure how yes came by all this information, but the actual
radio stations you listen to compile their playlists in real time and
comprehensively:

http://destoria.bootp.duke.edu/djspace/plmanager/world/currentplaylist_xdu.php
http://www.wxyc.info/playlists/recent.html
http://www.wknc.org/studio/