ch-scene - Re: "Is Stephin Merritt a racist because he doesn't like hip-hop?"

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "rick sawyer" <rickbang AT gmail.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: "Is Stephin Merritt a racist because he doesn't like hip-hop?"
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 18:29:58 -0400

actually, chris, whether or not his follow-up comment vitiated what he
said, it was a swipe at me. at any rate, instead of responding to my
post (which was an attempt to respond to calloway's question about the
interplay of the aesthetic and the political) he responded with all of
the thuggish subtlety of a duke lacrosse supporter.

further, the point i had been making (over two posts) was that the
logic of frere-jones could absolutely not be boiled down to "merrritt
hates outkast therefore he hates black people." rather, frere-jones
was making an irresponsible claim based on a tendency to ignore black
music that he *correctly* diagnosed. by correctly, i mean by
merritt's own freaking admission.

if morman doesn't have the attention span to participate in listserv
discussions, maybe he shouldn't be the one calling people pricks.

luvv
rick