ch-scene - Re: "Is Stephin Merritt a racist because he doesn't like hip-hop?"

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <nospam AT spacelabstudio.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: "Is Stephin Merritt a racist because he doesn't like hip-hop?"
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 17:53:54 -0400

Actually, Rick, I think if you go back and reread what Todd said, you'd
realize that he was actually making fun of the writers in question, not
actually saying you were a homophobic prick. You're only a homophobic
prick if you follow the logic of frere-jones, et al, which is what seems
to be under attack. It was typically sarcastic, but not actually a
swipe at you. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

rossi

rick sawyer wrote:
> bo's right. i hereby retract my statement about todd morman's brain
> power. in an ideal world, one where my therapist holds sway, my
> response would have been more like this:
>
> On 5/13/06, Todd Morman <tmorman AT nc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> > i despise stephin merritt and his music,
>> > and maybe there's a political dimension to my
>> > feeling
>>
>>Yeah, it means you're a homophobic prick.
>>
>>That *is* how this kind of smear works, right? From the Slate article:
>

> todd --
>
> thank you for your contribution to our discussion. your inflammatory
> words have gone a long way toward elucidating the nature of a "smear,"
> which, unfortunately, i was not defending. i'd venture to say that
> your insult is a bit out-of-line. this, and other, similar
> self-important acts of condescension (previously referred to as "your
> schtick") have grown tiresome in the six years i have been reading
> this mailing list.
>

>>todd Sasha Frere-Jones has been a shit of a writer for a long time morman
>

> also, may i suggest that you lay off the haterade?
>
> sincerely,
>
> rick sawyer

http://spacelabstudio.com
my email address is 'chris' at above domain