ch-scene - Re: "Is Stephin Merritt a racist because he doesn't like hip-hop?"

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "rick sawyer" <rickbang AT gmail.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: "Is Stephin Merritt a racist because he doesn't like hip-hop?"
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 08:21:47 -0400

listen. i got the point in the first place. you were using my words
as an example, levelling the sort of charge against me that
frere-jones did against merritt. brilliant. you don't need to
explain to me the nature of irony. but, the point i was making, was
that i wasn't defending that logic in the first place. so using me as
an example was sort of uneccessarily shitty. in the second place, my
point was that frere-jones's statements couldn't be boiled down to
that sort of logic without losing something essential. i may be full
of shit, but you, as an, er, intelligent interlocutor, owe me the
courtesy of an argument before condescending to me.

at any rate, i think we are all in agreement. stephin merritt is not
a racist. people who don't like hip-hop are not racists. todd morman
is a sarcastic jerk.

don't we have a war to protest or at least something more interesting
for our friends at the NSA to read?

rick