ch-scene - Re: "Is Stephin Merritt a racist because he doesn't like hip-hop?"

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bryk <chscene AT bryk.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: "Is Stephin Merritt a racist because he doesn't like hip-hop?"
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 23:41:29 -0400

On 2006-05-13, Bryk <chscene AT bryk.com> wrote:
Come to think of it, can anyone recommend a functional equivalent to
Avid or Visart in North Raleigh?

Netflix.

Merde! I am so sick of outsourcing fundamental services from outside the community!

If I'm going to negative option bill my credit card, wait days for delivery, get on a WAITING LIST for certain titles, and basically waste a wide variety of resources to move a 5" piece of aluminium & plastic from wherever to here, I might as well burn fossil fuels and add the car miles to patronize Avid, where I like the owner, respect his taste when it comes to suggestions, and want him to continue to have a livelihood. Then at least I can walk around the corner where I might pay a buck or two more at Chaz's than discountCDdotwhatever, but allow Chaz keep the lights on and book more shows for more bands that otherwise wouldn't get to play here. If it's a title Chaz can't get, CLICK I'm on collector's choice, but I would prefer to support someone paying local taxes and my employing neighbors rather than some sheetrock aluminium frame part time labor waiting for the IPO or to be bought out by viacom probably based in delaware suburban tax dodge like netflix. plus, did i mention how much i DESPISE businesses that advertise FREE TRIAL!! FREE!! TRIAL!! then won't let you proceed past step 1 or 2 without providing credit card info on a negative option monthly renewal basis?

i have and love vonage, and that WOULD make me a hypocrite if our developer hadn't signed a sweetheart lockout deal with CTC (Concord), the most inept, overpriced telco I have ever had the displeasure of mailing a monthly cheque to. also, they include free calls to Canada and the UK, and I was ALSO paying AT&T for the privilege of a slight discount on that. (if i wasn't calling bangladesh for AT&T customer service, i would have thought twice about switching to VOIP, a parasitic business model at best.)

sorry this was utterly off topic. stephen merritt obviously hasn't heard "a night at the hip-hopera" or else he would shurrrrely represent in its direction, ite?

dB

actually i scanned merritt's century of music choices, and SM choosing "surrealistic pillow" for 1967 in lieu of "bernadette" or "walk away renée" displays not mere racism, but fundamental bad taste.