ch-scene - Re: "Is Stephin Merritt a racist because he doesn't like hip-hop?"

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "rick sawyer" <rickbang AT gmail.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: "Is Stephin Merritt a racist because he doesn't like hip-hop?"
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 10:41:18 -0400

perhaps it is you who needs a lesson in the meaning of irony.

irony:

#

1. The use of words to express something different from and often
opposite to their literal meaning.
2. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast
between apparent and intended meaning.
3. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or
rhetorical effect. See Synonyms at wit1.

so, you write the sentence, "yeah, it means you're a homophobic
prick," and you're not being ironic?

and any offense i took was from the obviousness of your point.

rick.

On 5/14/06, Todd Morman <tmorman AT nc.rr.com> wrote:
> i got the point in the first place.

No, you don't get it. I wasn't levelling any sort of charge at all, and
certainly wasn't being "ironic." It's stupid to level that sort of charge.
Period. There was nothing essential lost in my boiling down. Period.
Frere-Jones attacked Merritt as racist *without offering any evidence
whatsoever,* has offered only a half-assed apology for using the word
"cracker" and continues to minimize the seriousness of what he did, playing
it as a light-hearted "gafuffle" when in fact it's much, much worse.

If instead of saying "Yeah, it means you're a homophobic prick." I'd have
written "Well, according to Sasha's argument, it means you're a homophobic
prick," we wouldn't be having this argument. Since your emotional reaction
to that first sentence seems to have made you incapable of understanding the
"That *is* how this kind of smear works, right?" that immediately followed,
I'm going to drop this.

But not before noting that someone who starts a thread by "despising"
someone and their art is in no position to call out someone else for being a
hater.

todd and you calling me a sarcastic jerk is truly hilarious morman