ch-scene - Re: "Is Stephin Merritt a racist because he doesn't like hip-hop?"

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "rick sawyer" <rickbang AT gmail.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: "Is Stephin Merritt a racist because he doesn't like hip-hop?"
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 13:47:06 -0400

bo's right. i hereby retract my statement about todd morman's brain
power. in an ideal world, one where my therapist holds sway, my
response would have been more like this:

On 5/13/06, Todd Morman <tmorman AT nc.rr.com> wrote:
> i despise stephin merritt and his music,
> and maybe there's a political dimension to my
> feeling

Yeah, it means you're a homophobic prick.

That *is* how this kind of smear works, right? From the Slate article:

todd --

thank you for your contribution to our discussion. your inflammatory
words have gone a long way toward elucidating the nature of a "smear,"
which, unfortunately, i was not defending. i'd venture to say that
your insult is a bit out-of-line. this, and other, similar
self-important acts of condescension (previously referred to as "your
schtick") have grown tiresome in the six years i have been reading
this mailing list.

todd Sasha Frere-Jones has been a shit of a writer for a long time morman

also, may i suggest that you lay off the haterade?

sincerely,

rick sawyer