ch-scene - Re: Durham music scene

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Jeff Hart" <jeffhoo1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Durham music scene
  • Date: 18 Jan 2006 15:23:01 -0800

Glenn Boothe / Local 506 wrote:

> And maybe that's the problem, everyone's attention span is so short
> these days that no one wants to spend too much time in any one place...

i think that's a lot of it. and what ross said about live music not
being the most exciting thing on peoples' agendas the way it was in the
early 90's. and like hep, i know i probably only see 12 rock shows a
year now (i'm sure he sees way more than that being a dozen years my
junior). so that averages to one a month. and most of those are going
to see friends' bands (dom casual, two dollar pistols, wusses, some
raleigh bands, etc.). i think those of us who were around then are not
doing the same things we did then, our lives have more elements to them
(spouses, more time consuming jobs). and the explosion of the internet
and home entertainment has cut into peoples times. i know that's two
hours i could probably have made up in a club somewhere. i do think i
enjoy seeing my friends' bands as much or more than some of the touring
ones now that i'm older. but that's just me.