ch-scene - Re: Durham music scene

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Jeff Hart" <jeffhoo1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Durham music scene
  • Date: 18 Jan 2006 14:47:04 -0800

i've noticed a difference but i'm not sure i can put my finger on it
either. i've been playing around here since '87 (mostly in under the
radar bands). so i've seen things ebb and flow. i do think there are as
many bands as there ever were, and probably as many places to play. one
thing that was interesting was our brown mtn lights gig at the cave
friday. the wigg report and charles latham (sic) played and their
drummer borrowed our drums. that's nothing unusual and we stayed to see
their "middle show" or early show set. and we really liked it and
recognized sean murphey as being in the band. but by the time we went
on, whoever was there to see them completely evacuated the place.
before we'd even played a note. and then our small crowd filtered in.
i don't remember that in years past, and i'd played club zen and all
the aforementioned places back in the day with any number of seemingly
incongruous billings. the lack of curiosity about other band on the
same bill just seemed strange. and maybe the same can be said of the
folks who missed the early set by hours. maybe it's a cave phenomenon
(with the late and early designations). probably wouldn't be the case
at 506, i'm not sure. and not knocking anyone's following.

it could also be that the wigg fans were completely scared off by how
many bald or balding guys are in our band ;) fear of friday the 13th
combined with peladophobia- fear of bald people!