ch-scene - Re: confused curmudeon gets it all wrong (was NOTICE: alarmist hits your inbox)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <nospam AT spacelabstudio.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: confused curmudeon gets it all wrong (was NOTICE: alarmist hits your inbox)
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:08:25 -0500

James Hepler wrote:

And who here has the balls to refuse to come out when
The Wusses play that amphitheatre?

For the record, this is completely hypothetical. Bless James and his aggressive marketing.

As far as ATC, the thing that makes me uncomfortable about this style of development, is as much lip service as governments and developers pay to good old fashioned urban, mix used development, we end up with these monolothic structures. Real urban space is a bunch of different buildings packed in close together all owned by different people. These huge monolithic, mall-like structures just seem to be missing the point. So on the one hand, developing downtown is good. On the other hand, I don't know that this is what we really had in mind. I think using the word "abhorrent" is hyperbole in this case, though. They got it sort of right, but in this weirdly post-suburban white yuppie myopic kind of way.

Not that I have any clue how to get people to develop downtown in the right way. Maybe having an ATC or two downtown will create the critical mass to kickstart an actual downtown. I dunno.

Of course, I think there's a vague notion in people's minds that revitalizing downtown is somehow going to magically improve the lots of the people who already live there, rather than just moving them around. It seems obvious that we're just going to be moving poor people around Durham again, but maybe it's not as obvious to everyone.

Back to work,
Chris