ch-scene - Re: confused curmudeon gets it all wrong (was NOTICE: alarmist hits your inbox)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Nathaniel Florin <npflorin AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: confused curmudeon gets it all wrong (was NOTICE: alarmist hits your inbox)
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:07:57 -0800 (PST)

In Cambridge there was a situation in which several
people moved into a new condo conversion across the
street from a bar that had been a music venue for
decades and almost immediately began months of noise
complaints that ended with the owner shutting the
place down. People in most cities will tell variants
of the same story. Before they buy people visit their
new condos in the day and at 7 pm, but never at
midnight on a Thursday. They want vibrant nightlife,
but they want it to go to bed at 9. I don't think
there's any reason to expect nightlife arriving in
downtown Durham (if it does) would come in smoothly
and without a lot of resistance.

As for Starbucks, thanks to them a few months ago I
was able to have soy milk in my coffee in an Indiana
cornfield a hundred miles from nowhere. So they're not
all bad, even if their coffee is.

Nate