ch-scene - confused curmudeon gets it all wrong (was NOTICE: alarmist hits your inbox)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Caleb Southern" <southernc AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: confused curmudeon gets it all wrong (was NOTICE: alarmist hits your inbox)
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:51:30 -0500

Rick Sawyer wrote:
>lay your cards on the table, caleb. if you are such a hero of the people,
>let us know which people you are pulling for.

I am no "hero of the people".

What I'd personally like to see in Downtown Durham includes:

- locally owned shops, cafés, restaurants, clubs, etc.
- affordable apartments ($500-$700)
- people on the sidewalk
- downtown as "everyone's neighborhood" - the public face of all of Durham

What I don’t want to see in Durham is a stuffy downtown dominated by
offices, overpriced apartments and condos, and no retail or nightlife to
speak of. (A dead, expensive place that only exists from 9-5.)

Others may disagree, and I can respect their opinions. But above is my
personal preference.

You are 180 degrees off in characterizing my personal positions in your
misinformation from. We probably agree more than we disagree, based on some
of your statements, but one wouldn't know it based on your negative tone.

What do you want? Who are YOU pulling for? What are you doing to further
your cause?

Where do you live? Why do you care? What is your point? (With all due
respect, your comments on this forum are the ones that appear incoherent.)

What is your agenda? Please explain yourself.

***

Your recollection of the Durham theatre debate was factually incorrect.

Rick Sawyer wrote:
>the proposal died because it had no support outside of the developers
>who proposed it. when you say that the city council voted "at least
>6-1 in favor of every step of the theater" you are being a bit
>disingenuous. the city council never voted to approve any construction
>project, and it never approved anything.

http://www.durhamnc.gov/agendas/minutes.cfm

Durham City Council did in fact vote 6 to 1 on June 7, 2004 (when you claim
to have attended) to grant on extension to negotiate the theater deal. They
voted multiple times over the next year to do the same, and eventually
approved the final proposal - which will be built soon.

Did you support the original proposal for the 5000 seat Clear Channel
theater? Did you support the $18 million local taxpayer subsidy to build it
(which remains to build the final theater project actually approved by
council)? I couldn't tell from your posts.

Please get your facts straight before posting.

Caleb