ch-scene - Re: confused curmudeon gets it all wrong (was NOTICE: alarmist hits your inbox)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Sarah Freeman <sfree18 AT gmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: confused curmudeon gets it all wrong (was NOTICE: alarmist hits your inbox)
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:37:40 -0500

All,
I've been utterly pleased to see this sort of conversation going on between folks over the past week. However, it's slightly disheartening to see people, who obviously share a deep passion and love for their dear Durham, bicker over semantics and point fingers. Yes, ATC might be a corporate eyesore to many, but I think we can all admit that it's a step towards bringing people downtown. A few wandering Duke students might venture over Ramseur to the innards of downtown (gasp!) or get lost trying to get to ATC and realize that there's a nice locally-owned coffee shop right in downtown (who knew?!). Okay okay, so most of you would probably rather not run into Duke students on a daily basis, but that's my point... over the past week it's become evident that people want to see more life in downtown, yet they're not willing to welcome the very things (read: money, people, culture) that could spark some sort of renaissance. I hate to be the be the bad guy, but the economist in me is cheering for the yuppies and the money that they're investing in downtown. If you build it, they will come... and when that happens, Starbucks won't be the only one getting customers. I love Durham the way it is, but not at the expense of turning off possible small private retail investors because of the lack of consumer traffic.

Cackalacky love, s.free