ch-scene - Re: eGullet founder/author dines at Federal

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: eGullet founder/author dines at Federal
  • Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 12:33:09 -0500

Well, for what it's worth, I hope you noticed in among the griping all the people saying "it's my favorite restaurant in the Triangle," and/or saying stuff like "dammit, the service is hit-and-miss but I go back over and over because the food is always so good." Federal is truly beloved, I'd wager particularly so among the denizens of this newsgroup.

And some of the denizens of this newsgroup have impossibly high standards when it comes to restaurants; those are usually the same folks raving about Federal, actually.

Maybe you should just locate and brick over the Black Hole that the Amazing Disappearing Waitress keeps falling into? I mean, I swear to god, there have been times when I've wandered all over the joint looking for her & she's *nowhere* to be found. There are mysterious Quantum Effects at work here.

Ross

p.s. mmm, brunch . . . chorizo & eggs?

Josh Wittman wrote:
Gheez...what do you expect in a dive?

Hard to listen in on this conversation about Federal's service without chiming in.

Generally speaking we do have service that can be described as UP and DOWN/inconsistent as many places have at some point - no excuses - but we do try and work on our service everyday by creating new ways to give more consistent and efficient service and by constantly monitoring how we're doing in that area. Our goal always was to have great food in a fun, comfortable place and we're obviously still not there with service and sometimes speed of food delivery at peak times. Our kitchen is impossibly small, but have also been working on ways to improve those delivery times.

It was a great double-edged sword when big time NYC Fat Guy announces to the 300K N&O subscribers that we're his "discovery". It generally sent in all sorts of first-timers the next few days that forgot to read the part about the fact that we're a dive that smells like a bus station and just want to eat this fantastic food they keep hearing about and then expect white linen table service to go along with it.

Of course we want to always have impeccable service but as many of you know (I read the tipping thread) that have worked in food service, it is very difficult maintaining a staff that gets better over time - seems people don't want to be career waits. We've had over 25 plus servers in our not yet 2 year history and we always search for more "qualified" but fun loving help. We do love our current staff (many of which you called out) and think they do a good job, but are always on the hunt for so please send those candidates our way!! We advertise in the Indy, DTH and Chronicle and the only time we get interest is from the DTH....strange but true.

Always open to feedback about specific service issues so please don't hesitate to send your comments/complaints my way and we'll try and work on them. I guess the fact that we're a topic on the newsgroup is praise that we're doing something right....not everything, but something and we'll keep trying to get closer to doing everything right.

Thanks for continuing to give us your business. PS: In a couple of weeks we're starting Sunday Brunch.

Josh from the Federal