ch-scene - Re: eGullet founder/author dines at Federal

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: eGullet founder/author dines at Federal
  • Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 10:53:05 -0500

Well, the problem is that Federal is often crowded at those times when I want to eat, like, say, lunch and dinnertime, which is why late-lunch on Saturday usually works out pretty well. However, I should point out that I've never had to stand around waiting for a table at Federal. Perhaps they should consider yanking some of the tables if they can't muster up the resources to service all of them at once?

Ideally a restaurant can predict when those busy times might be & handle its staffing accordingly, but I suppose the Federal kitchen is so small that there's only so much food it can churn out at one time.

I'm not sure that having the waitstaff provide shitty service is the best way to limit demand to a level the kitchen can handle, though.

Although upon further reflection, my bad-service experiences at Federal haven't really correlated to busy times -- they're just as likely to occur when it's half-empty as when it's full. Hmmm.

My other favorite restaurant in the Triangle is currently suffering from a capacity problem, only theirs is that they have more kitchen capacity than tables, and they have such good food they wind up with people driving long distances & then standing around waiting, which really sucks because it's my neighborhood joint and it's damned annoying to see all those Chapel Hillians driving way out 54 to stand around & spoil my dinner. Y'all just forget you ever heard about Fiesta Grill, OK?

Ross

Chris Calloway wrote:

Perchance would y'all getting the shitty service being
going to The Federal when it's already way
overcrowded? Are y'all the types who when you stick
you head in the door and see and impossibly large
crowd don't think once about going somewhere else and
coming back some other time?

I'm just saying, because I have several favorite spots
with the so popular they get slammed problem. Just
last week, I stuck my head in Jack Sprat's cuz I love
their everything handmade paninis and soups. The line
from the counter in the back was nearly to the door up
front. I've been in that line before. So I knew enough
to duck around to the newly reopened Alladin's
instead. Good thing, too. I couldn't believe the $7
lunch buffet. Best deal on Franklin Street. I know it
will be going out of business soon if it keeps
charging so little for so much good stuff. I'm hoping
I get to go there today if my slackass lunch bunch can
get motivated.

3