ch-scene - Re: OT: Car audio advice

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: William Woltz <wwoltz AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: OT: Car audio advice
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:26:14 -0400

Your stereo should have two connections to your auto's electrical system.
The main power supply (a red wire) is ultimately connected thru your
ignition switch, so you can play your stereo only when the ignition is "on"
or in "accessory."

But --- and this is probably the culprit --- there is a second connection, a
yellow wire, to the positive side of your battery that is always "on." This
is so your clock keeps time and your radio stores all its preset stations in
memory. If you ever have to replace your battery you'll have to start from
scratch with all your presets.

In this case it sounds like that yellow wire has broken or has lost
connection somehow, so every time you turn the car off your stereo loses its
memory. That's why it's asking for your reset code.

Before you have someone take the radio out of your dash, check your fuse
box. It's usually under the dash around the driver's left knee somewhere.
The solution may be as simple as replacing a blown fuse.

Is your clock part of the stereo or are you talking about a separate
dashboard clock? The culprit fuse may be labeled "Clock" or "Instr" or
something like that. Just guessing now...

Hope that helps.

Will

William Woltz
Outreach Coordinator/Host of "Allegro!"