ch-scene - Re: OT: Car audio advice

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "dAvid Hollinghurst" <ultravioletray AT davidbowie.com>
  • To: <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: OT: Car audio advice
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:27:13 -0400

You know, it could be a battery/alternator thing. The car starts, right?

This is all guessing: Somehow, the charge to keep the clock and stereo set
is not happening. This could mean the battery doesn't have enough charge to
keep it going. But, it stores just enough charge for the car to start;
maybe(sounds flimsy, but...). If the battery doesn't have enough charge,
then either the battery is dead, or the alternator isn't charging it. It
could be something completely different, but if the clock resets and the cd
player was resetting, there's a connection. Or perhaps a lack of one.
Crossed wires, that sort of thing. Hey wait, check the connectors on the
battery, one of them could be loose, or some corrosion. This would cut the
charge from the clock and radio, but as the door jolts closed, the
connection is made again. Yeah, sounds unbelievable, but it's happened to
me.

As far as the code not working, well... You could go to one of those stereo
places; I can't imagine Passport passing it off, unless this isn't a
standard issue Honda stereo. If this is the case, try calling the company
who makes the stereo and disc changer. Or check the website for a
troubleshooting page. They might have an answer.

Dunno if this helped, but good luck.

dAve

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:33:53 -0700 (PDT)
> From: James Hepler <jameshepler AT yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: OT: Car audio advice
> To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
>
> Some CD players/changers have a tiny hole next to
> where you put the CD/cartridge in. If you stick a
> paperclip into that hole, it will eject the CD.
>
> Of course, I have six CD's stuck in my car CD player
> and I don't have that little hole. But other than
> that, no idea how to help you. But I'll talk to my
> electricity teacher tonight (not kidding) and find out
> what might be causing the problem with your clock.
> Maybe they're related. And my teacher knows his shit
> WRT automotive stuff.
>
> --- Christiane Voisin <voisc AT ils.unc.edu> wrote:
>
> > I am having electrical problems in my 1994 Honda
> > Civic. My clock resets to
> > 1:00 every time I start the car, and my stereo and
> > 6-disc changer don't
> > work. the stereo asks for my 5 digit reset code,
> > which i have. i was
> > able to get the radio on once using the code. i was
> > pacified that i'd
> > fixed it and stupidly didn't eject the changer, and
> > the code isn't working
> > now. i've got Chapel Hill Public Library cds due
> > today in the changer and
> > it won't eject... luckily there is a 3 day grace
> > period.
> >
> > i called Passport Motors in Carrboro and they said
> > they don't work on this
> > kind of thing and usually send people to Best Buy or
> > Now Audio... I
> > noticed there are some places on Durham-CH Blvd
> > "Dashboard Audio" etc.
> > anyone have advice on a quick fix or where to go to
> > get it looked at?
> >
> > any help would be appreciated...
> >
> > thanks in advance,
> > christiane
> >

> > -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors
> > alt.music.chapel-hill --

> http://mail.yahoo.com

> End of Ch-scene Digest, Vol 23, Issue 21

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.