ch-scene - Re: Need help putting band name on drum head

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: mike AT mysterycircuits.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Need help putting band name on drum head
  • Date: 16 Mar 2005 08:42:06 -0800

A couple methods I use on my instruments-

1)Spray paint the entire head the color you want the letters. Then let
it dry for a day. The best Spray paint (imho) for this is Krylon Fusion
for plastics. Krylon is my favorite Spray paint for several reasons.
Mainly how fast it dries, and how you can recoat after a couple
minutes.

First- you can get vinyl letters. I like to get them, and cut them out
and make new letters from the originals. An easy example - take the
letter B, cut off the back, flip it upside down, and you have a letter
E from the future. I like to spell out the word like a collage, and
then spray paint over it the second color. Once it dries for a few
hours, carefully peel the letters off.

Second- there's this easy-peel contact paper. You can draw the design,
or trace it (it's clear), and cut it out with an exacto knife. It masks
perfectly. And the adhesive is extremely mild and won't peel the
undercoat. Make a stencil from that, and adhere it to the head. Spray
paint the second color. You can either make a positive or negative of
the letters/logo. If you make a negative, the second color you Spray
paint will be the color of the letters.

The letters and contact paper are available at staples, michaels, etc.
The paint you can find at hardware stores, or michaels.

-Mike Walters
www.mysterycircuits.com