ch-scene - Re: Need help putting band name on drum head

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: John Iwaniszek <not AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Need help putting band name on drum head
  • Date: 16 Mar 2005 15:58:25 GMT

bendy wrote:

> Elizabeth Hammond wrote:
>> I've used a stencil and paint, which looks fine unless light is
>> shining through the back of the head...in which case it looks like the
>> thing was finger painted.
>
> Spray-paint might work better with a stencil.

Or a stencil brush. When you stencil using a brush, you have to stiple the
paint on to make an even coating.

What I would try is this: Using heavy brown paper, draw the image you want
on your drum-head. Cut the stencil with an exacto or some other kind of
razor knife. Spray the back of the stencil with rubber contact cement and
then apply the stencil to a test surface, taking care to press down the
inside edges of the stencil so paint won't crawl outside the lines. Spray
with a sideways back and forth motion to cover the image area evenly with no
running paint drips. Let it dry for a few hours and then carefully peel the
stencil. If you are happy with how it looks, go for it. Otherwise, try
something else.