ch-scene - Re: Ch-scene Digest, Vol 16, Issue 25

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Calloway <ifoufo AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Ch-scene Digest, Vol 16, Issue 25
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:16:19 -0800 (PST)

--- grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote:
> Is it self-government, and the ability to levy local
> taxes?

You're getting close.

> The proximity to RTP makes Parkwood a particularly
> interesting case,
> because if anyplace in the Triangle should by rights
> have magically
> become its own self-contained city, RTP is it.

RTP is a "special tax district," which is what
prevents it from becoming a "town." Plus, the RTP
Foundation stipulates that anything built in RTP must
be at least 50% research. So schools, grocery stores,
places to live, gas stations, townie kinds of things,
don't qualify.

> It
> even has its own post office, though I've heard the
> workers there
> scolding people about putting "RTP" on their
> addresses, as the PO's
> address is actually Durham.

Post offices don't qualify, either. The RTP post
office isn't in RTP. There is a very valid RTP, NC
address, though.

All the commercial crap "in" RTP isn't actually in
RTP. RTP has very funny boundaries.

The whole damn couple of decades I worked out there,
there was no place to live out there whatsoever. Now,
there are all kinds of new urbanesque developments
around the edges of RTP.

3