ch-scene - Re: Ch-scene Digest, Vol 16, Issue 25

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: ron thigpen <ron AT fuzzsonic.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Ch-scene Digest, Vol 16, Issue 25
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:46:52 -0500

grady wrote:

What makes a town?

Sure, it's rhetorical, but here's some thoughts: I think this works like the famous quote on the indecency standards: "You'll know it when you see it". To my mind, it's a town when enough residents start identifying with it. If you feel enough affinity to a place to get your feathers ruffled when someone says something negative about it, then it may qualify. Size and self-containment matter somewhat, but I think the real measure is whether you have a social and governmental (not just commercial) center of mass.

It even has its own post office, though I've heard the workers there scolding people about putting "RTP" on their addresses, as the PO's address is actually Durham.

Research Triangle Park, NC is a valid UPSS address, you just have to be in the right zipcode.

<http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/zip_responseA.jsp?Selection=3&zipcode=27709>

--rt