ch-scene - Re: Ch-scene Digest, Vol 16, Issue 25

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: bendy <bendy AT duke.edu>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Ch-scene Digest, Vol 16, Issue 25
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:18:55 -0500

grady wrote:

All we need now is a . . . . rockclub!

A few years ago, I was tangentially involved with an effort to get the Lowe's Grove school property turned into some sort of cultural asset, with the specific goal of saving the auditorium for performances. Bill Monroe played there backwhen, on the kerosene circuit (sort of the white version of the chitlin' circuit). I'm not so involved anymore, but the property is still standing. For now. It's an awesome, if decrepit, public space, and it would be a shame to see it knocked down and forgotten. Durham Historial Preservation are the folks to contact if anyone wanted to get involved.

Bendy