ch-scene - Re: best place to vote early in Durham

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: James Hepler <jameshepler AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: best place to vote early in Durham
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:20:51 -0700 (PDT)

--- Michael Warren <p_michael_warren AT yahoo.com> wrote:

> Don't understand the hoopla about early voting
> either. I've voted for 25 years and have never
> waited in line any significant amount of time. More
> often the poll workers were trying to stay awake and
> fight boredom. There has long been a process in
> place for people who were going to be out of town or
> for the elderly. It's nothing new. Me thinks this
> is mostly a fad that will fade away the day after
> the election. And while the numbers of voters is up
> a good deal this year, it's still a pathetically
> small percentage of those eligible.

I disagree. I don't think that the fad of early
voting will end the day after the election. I think
it will end the day OF the election, since you will be
voting right on time, not early.

I think that it's encouraging that by early this week
6% of NC's eligible voters had already voted. And I
say vote whenever the hell you want to. I enjoyed the
hour I spent in line. I talked to some people I know
and some people I don't know. The time flew.