ch-scene - Re: best place to vote early in Durham

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: best place to vote early in Durham
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:52:11 -0400

1) applicable to a certain percentage of the population, certainly, and I'm fully in favor of them voting early. Hopefully folks would know if they fit into that percentage, but mebbe not.

2) applicable to people who have all day election day to devote to GOTV efforts, and I'm fully in favor of them voting early as well.

3) Applicable to party operatives who care whether the watchers' & flushers' time is being wasted. I'm registered unaffiliated so presumably watchers & flushers don't care about me anyway. I know more than a few people who have stated that they'd be really pissed to be "flushed" on election day, but so I guess perversely it would benefit them to vote early as well, just to avoid the hectoring phone calls.

4) You'd be the one to ask: how about that booths/hour ratio for early voting vs election day? & are the various BOEs talking about revamping the process *again* for next time to shorten the lines, or are they hoping it'll normalize itself?

I just find it humorous that I know more than a few people who fit into none of the above categories but who've still spent one or more hours on one or more trips trying to vote early. I mean, I admire the civic spirit and/or the incredible suspense-fueled tension or whatever it is that drives them to vote early, but I voted around here in the turnout-heavy election of 1992 and honestly, people, if you show up at the crack of dawn, you're not going to be in line for more than 10-15 minutes.

That's 6:30 a.m. statewide, by the way; I went back & checked.

Unless of course *everybody* takes my advice & the line's 4 hours long by the time the polls open. Now *that* would be something to see. I'm willing to take the risk just for the slight chance of seeing that happen.

Ross

Chris Calloway wrote:

--- Michael Warren <p_michael_warren AT yahoo.com> wrote:

Me thinks this
is mostly a fad that will fade away the day after
the election.

Lordy.

1) Not only avoid the challenge-bots, but find out
early (in time to get legal help) if you are going to
be challenged. (Note: challenges still occur even
after election day at the official BOE vote canvass.)

2) Get all day election day to GOTV instead of stand
in line.

3) Most important reason: Helps GOTV, because it
doesn't waste the time of watchers and flushers to see
if you've already voted.

4) If it's a fad, it's a fad that's been building in
popularity for years. I've voted in several elections
already by early vote. It's just been more publicized
than ever this year, and thus more locations were set
up.

3