ch-scene - Re: best place to vote early in Durham

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Duncan Murrell <dvmurrell AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: best place to vote early in Durham
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 06:41:56 -0400

I used to stand in line for 90 minutes, minimum, at my old precinct in SW Durham, even if I showed up within a half hour of the polls opening. I voted yesterday in my new Pittsboro precinct in five minutes -- an appreciable difference in convenience. Today I leafletted the polls in Goldston for the Democrats, and everyone -- Democrat and Republican -- seemed happy to have been able to vote so quickly. One voter had to use a wheelchair, and was clearly uncomfortable in it, and so the reduced time to vote must have been a blessing to her. Then there were the two witty, flirty octogenarian Bush supporters who also would have had a hard time standing in line, as they both used walkers.