ch-scene - Re: Save Ooh La Latte (and other) Nightlife!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Mary Anne Barckhoff <barckhoff AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Save Ooh La Latte (and other) Nightlife!
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:22:11 -0700 (PDT)

Gently stirring cloistered poets. It sounds so serene... Ahh.

Although, I've certainly been to some cloistered rock shows as well.
Somehow, that is much more disturbing.

Anyhoo-- I'm of the mind that bands put a lot of time, energy, creativity,
and money into what they do and certainly deserve compensation for their
efforts. But, it would also suck if budding local bands didn't have any
access to venues that were willing to take a risk on them. Remember, many
"professional" bands are those that play covers all the time. Or crap that
will become cover songs. There are lots of unknown bands with great stuff
out there. It seems like it's getting increasingly harder for venues to
support local music. I don't want to cough up all the cash from my bands'
hard work, but I'd be willing to cough up a portion if it keeps the "scene"
(such as it is) alive.

Here's a bizarre thought: what if there was a local music scene union between
clubs & bands that guaranteed bands a place to play and clubs a small source
of revenue (through dues)? Okay, I just thought of this at this instant, so
don't slaughter me if you think it's totally screwy -- I haven't really
thought it through. Perhaps it would just turn into the Triangle Music
Mafia, I don't know....

mab

Nathaniel Florin <npflorin AT yahoo.com> wrote:

--- Chris Calloway wrote:
> > If rock wants to go the way of poetry, this
> approach
> > is a good way to
> > start. Eventually you'll have no choice _but_ to
> > play "just for the
> > love of music and of the fans."
>
> This certainly seems like a desirable outcome to me.

Yowza.
Sometimes I love a good professional rock show, after
which the musicians get paid in legal tender.
Poetry readings, with the poets reading to the other
poets (and would-be poets and poets' students) can
seem hopelessly cloistered, even when they're
stirring.

Nate

Viva la Venus website: http://www.vivalavenus.com
Little Miss Messy website: http://www.littlemissmessy.net

The difference between excitement and fear is a matter of choice.