ch-scene - Re: Save Ooh La Latte (and other) Nightlife!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Mary Anne Barckhoff <barckhoff AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Save Ooh La Latte (and other) Nightlife!
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:24:06 -0700 (PDT)

The thing that seems unclear is whether or not OLL will even be open in the
evenings at all and whether they would even be willing to rent out the space
for such events. But these are the types of ideas that can keep it going, if
folks get involved and offer alternative ideas.

It just really sucks that live music venues have such a hard time staying
afloat. Recently, one of my bandmates objected to giving a venue $200 off
the door for the sound guy, et al. for a multi-band event. Given the way
that the live music scene has been recently, I don't find it unreasonable for
the venue to try to make sure it stays afloat by specifying a cut off the top
for services provided. Especially if they're up front about it and they
don't make the bands pay out of pocket. But I can also see my bandmate's
point of view-- that venues should make their money off bar sales and the
bands shouldn't lose that cut at the door. Some consider that screwing over
bands, while others might consider it motivation to try to draw a bigger
audience. When does it shift from good business sense to just screwing
people over?

mab

grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote:

Hm, well, if they're not into doing shows, then they're not into doing
shows. Any persuasion to the contrary would probably only be temporary,
as running a rockclub, even one that's subsidized by another business
during the day, is a labor of love, and you can't fake the love, baby.

On the other hand, one might could take a tip from the Nightlight
playbook (also the 70s/80s punkrock and/or small-town-America-always
playbooks) and mebbe rent out the space for rockshows, either on a
regular/continuing or one-off basis, unless they're planning on totally
scrapping the PA. Although it's a small enough room that all you really
need is a vocal PA, so some enterprising person could obtain & maintain
one for use.

DIY, if someone else won't DI for you.

Ross

Viva la Venus website: http://www.vivalavenus.com
Little Miss Messy website: http://www.littlemissmessy.net

The difference between excitement and fear is a matter of choice.