ch-scene - Re: Odd Squirrell Nut Zippers guitar in Amsterdam...>Mayflies memorabilia

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bis "sp�ter" <thebackyardbbq AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Odd Squirrell Nut Zippers guitar in Amsterdam...>Mayflies memorabilia
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:13:59 -0700 (PDT)

OK, OK, I can't stand it anymore.

Ever since this started, ya know I can't help but look
up admiringly at the chunk of solid body blonde I have
on the wall, grabbed after that Mayflies USA vs.
Starpoint Electric show 4 or 5 years ago at the
Cradle. No, I haven't checked the humbuckers, but for
all intents and purposes, I really see no reason why
they shouldn't still be working. You know, except for
the fact that there's only about 2 jagged thirds of
the body left. Matt Long did a capital job destroying
this thing that night. It's got both humbuckers
(busted out of their frames), the switch, and 2
pots--the part of the guitar where the other 2 would
be is gone. Both E strings are nearly intact, and
there's a fragment of the A and G. (Strings were
through the body--the bridge is long gone.) On the
black pickguard is a piece of clear tape upon which
Matt wrote in small manuscript, "Archers of Loaf,"
with some kinda white, fine point pen.

Yes, it is graced with the signatures of Mayflies
Matt, Matt, Adam, and David, which they applied (with
some reserve) when I asked after a show sometime
later. They all seemed to think it very odd that
anyone would want their autograph. But whatelse could
I do? It's probably the only time in my life I'll
ever have seen a band wantonly and willfully, with
vim, vigor, and vitality, destroy their instruments
after a show. It certainly ranks in the top ten
memorable performances I have ever seen, probably in
the top five.

mc^2

Did anyone else who reads this list get the neck and
headstock? What about pieces of McMichael's guitar?
And after the fact, it's been said Adam didn't take
part in the carnage--I know definitively that David
just walked off, 'cause I remember thinking the irony
of the absent drummer, especially given his playing
style--but I coulda sworn I saw Adam up there tearing
something up. Did anybody get *any* pictures of that?
Jesus, what a night.