ch-scene - Re: Thank Dennis, Isaac, Lauren, et al for Nightlight (was "nightlight website?")

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT earthlink.net (Local 506)
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Thank Dennis, Isaac, Lauren, et al for Nightlight (was "nightlight website?")
  • Date: 23 Jul 2004 18:05:56 -0700

> If you were trying to suggest that the wholesale price of CDs should
> drop to $5 so that they wind up being $9 with a reasonable markup, then
> I'm all in favor of that. But that's not what you said, and you as a
> businessman should be able to spot a market-poisoning loss leader when
> you see one.

Yes, that is what I was suggesting. Obviously, I don't expect record
stores to eat it. Record labels should drop their prices, and then
they might not have to spend so much money on marketing - or at least,
those dollars could cover a larger shipment. Don't think for a second
that Best Buy isn't getting some kind of kickback for dropping the
price of Franz Ferdinand and not that Sorry About Dresden CD. They
are making their money - Sony is subsidizing it.

> Yeah, but like running an independent record store,
> the per record cost of recording, promotion,
> distribution, etc is more expensive for smaller bands
> than it is for artists on major labels.

I agree that this *might* be the case for a band on a smaller label
such as Merge or Saddlecreek who actually carry a staff and spend
money to market and promote each release. But definitely not the
average local act who is putting out their own record and spending
next to nothing to market it. And that is who I was referring to.

> BTW, I was sharing your comments with some friends.
> They said they would buy liquor drinks if they didn't
> have to consume them out of those little cups.

Problem here is no running water, not that I haven't looked into it.
But it's $7000 I don't currently have. I'll take donations...or
better yet tips!

glenn